Sunday, May 15, 2005

Leaving for the forver

They won’t notice when we go; we were barely here at all. The things we leave won’t remind our friends of what we were to have become. If we grow up and fade away, then who will say we were at all? When we run we should not look back. With tight-shut eyes, we won’t stop. Let’s leave our beds just how they are when we woke up this morning. Memories are a clever game of truth or dare: we choose to leave. The sun pulls hard against our belts. Come with. Don’t ask. Just follow us. When we’re all and we all go, then no one will regret the sun. We’ll burn our maps and wear thick socks: we will not ever return.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't exactly pinpoint why, but I really like this. It is wonderful.

Sunday, May 15, 2005 11:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really like this.. is it from your graduation speech?

jess

Monday, May 16, 2005 1:12:00 AM  
Blogger Gary Crane said...

It is not from my graduation speech. I thought a lot about including poetry to my speech, but at the time could not write or find one to match. Alas, I wrote this after my speech was not chosen. So, too late I suppose.
I do think that graduation is deserving of more poetry; I wish I'd tried more valiantly to bring it some.

Monday, May 16, 2005 1:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home